Enzymes are occurring both in your body and in raw foods. Our bodies also produce enzymes, but sometimes we ingest foods (like lactose) that we don’t produce enzymes to digest or not enough to digest the foods that we’ve ingested.
Enzymes are important to not only the foods we eat, but some theories out there (raw food diet) are based on the theory that eating foods that have enzymes is key to our own health. The less we use of our bodies resources to digest food, the more our bodies are able to health themselves.
Enzymes are basically a catalyst made of mostly proteins, to initiate a biochemical reaction. Their role has 3 parts
- To increase a rate of reaction
- They act with only one reactant to produce products
- They regulate the state of low activity to high activity (and vice versa).
Every food or drink we ingest (other than water), contains some combination of protein, fat and carbohydrates. Digestive enzymes break down protein, carbohydrates and fats into smaller components. The body uses these smaller components to rebuild and heal itself, supply energy and remove toxins.
When food are cooked over a certain temperature they die. Most of what we are eating today is cooked in some fashion, which is responsible for our needing to supplement digestive enzymes.
Digestive enzymes increase the level of digestion in the stomach, increasing the amount of food broken down. Therefore, less undigested food is passed into the colon, and food nutrients are more available for absorption.
Digestive aids are broken into 3 different types
- Lipases -Break down fats such as those found in olive oil, fish oil, cooking oils, butter, cheese and meat.
- Proteases -Break down protein found in meats, nuts, cheese and grains such as whole wheat
- Carbohydrases – Break down starches, polysaccharides, sugars and fiber as are found in fruits, vegetables and grains.
Taking digestive enzymes aid in better breakdown, there for assimilation and absorption of nutrients. With this reducing other digestive issues caused by what we eat.
I wanted to make note of a great plan by Lou Corona, where he has been able to assist in many serious medical issues solely by his enzyme therapy plans.
- Acid reflux
- Chronic fatigue
- Excess weight
- Inability to reproduce…to name only a few.